CMAT Entrance 2003
Direction: Select the most suitable preposition in the following sentences.
1. The patient is afflicted ............ cough.
2. The old man is honest ............ word and deed.
3. The rich man has no affection ............ the poor.
4. Jagadish had no servant to attend............ him.
5. Beggar begged money ............ me.
Direction: Complete the following sentences correctly.
6. The............. document was destroyed by him.
7. We never ............ what we are ashamed of.
8. He............ to us for half an hour.
9. Before one ............ should make an attempt to discover the artist’s purpose.
10. In order to control and defeat the dreadful diseases that plague humanity ............ activity is necessary.
Direction: Select the Antonyms of the following words.
Direction: Select the best word which correctly fills the blanks.
Most people spend .... 16 .... of time and money buying their toothpaste, but buy the first toothbrush they can find. It ...17... more attention than that, say dentists. The brush ...18... the less glamorous partner in your dental kit, but it is the more ...19... one. It does something that the best toothpaste .....20....do alone.
has to be
need to be
Direction: Read the following passage and answer the questions that follow the passage, base on the options to each question
The great, adventure of the electric train over the steam train, I think, is that it does not smell. When you're in a train drawn by a steam locomotive, you always have the unpleasant odour of burning coal around you. If you open the window to look out at the view and to get some fresh air, you are covered with little bit of coal-ash, which gets into your hair and eyes and soon forces you to shut the window again and withdraw into the impure atmosphere of your compartment. In a tunnel, your misery reaches a peak, for there the smokes is forced into a long tunnel, smells grows worse and worse, while your eyes smart and the electronic light in the carriage grows slim hidden behind the wreathing smoke. With an electric locomotive, on the other hand, you can enjoy the view and the fresh air without inconvenience.
21. Why does one get an unpleasant smell in the steam train?
Because no fresh air can enter the train
Because coal gives out unpleasant smell when it burns.
Because the steam trains are very old and foul smelling.
Because there is too much crowed in the train.
22. What forces you to close the window of a steam train?
It is very noisy inside
There is no fresh air outside
Little bits of coal-ash get into the viewer's eye and hair.
It is too cool outside
23. Why does one feel miserable when the steam train passes through a long tunnel?
One cannot see things.
The train gets very noisy.
The atmosphere inside the train becomes smoke filled and eyes begins to pain
One cannot get fresh air.
24. What advantages does one have when one travels by an electric locomotive?
One can have a fill view of things outside and breathe fresh air.
One can travel to the mountains.
One can travel in any part of the world.
One can travel faster.
25. The author seems to suggest that
Steam engines should be banned .
All trains should be pulled by electric engines.
Passengers should be issued air filters during journey.
Train engines should be repaired periodically.
26. In Junea baseball team that played 60 games had won 30% of its games played. After phenomenal wining streak this team raised its average to 50%. How many games must the team have won in a row to attain this average?
27. One-half of a number is 17 more than one-third of that number. What is the number?
28. 3x +10=9x-20, (x+5)2=?
29. Two cars start towards each other from points 200 miles apart. One car travels at 40 miles per hours and the other travel at 35 miles an hour. How far apart will the two cars be after four hours of continuous travelling?
30. A diagram of a plane drawn to the scale of 0.5 inch equals 80 feet. If the length of the diagram is 4.5 inches, the actual length of the plane is?
31. If the length of a rectangle is increased by 20% and the width of the same rectangle is decreased by 20%, then the area of the rectangle
decreases by 20%
decreases by 4%
increase by 40%
32. The afternoon classes in a collage begins at 1:00 PM and end at 3:52 PM. There are four afternoon class period with 4 minutes allowed between periods for passing to classes. The number of minutes in each class period is
33. Which of the following fractions has the smallest value?
34. How many terms of the sequence -12, -9, -6, -3 must be taken to make the sum of 54?
35. Shyam lost 15% by selling his old bicycle for Rs.170 for how much he must have sold it to gain 15%?
Direction: Question number 36 to 40 are based on the following table. Following table represents the export (in million) of an article in two year 1990 and 2000 from the cities of Nepal
|Rank in 2000||Export in 1990||Export in 2000||Rank in 2000|
36. Which of the following cities had the largest change in export between 1990 and 2000?
37. What is the percentage change of export of Pokhara from 1990 to 2000?
38. If the total export of the whole country was 70 millions in 1990, approximately what percent of export was in due to 5 largest cities in 1990?
39. In 2000 how many times in terms of export larger was Biratnagar than Nepalgunj?
40. If Bhaktapur had export of 2.69 millions in 1962, what was the percentage change between 1962 and 2000?
41. (25 x 92) / (82x 35)=?
42. The average often numbers is 5. If each number is multiplied by 3, the average of the new set of number will be
43. A mixture of 40 liters of milk and water contain 10% water. How much water must be added to make water 20% in the new mixture?
44. If 2 men and 3 boys can do a piece of work in 8 days, how long will 3 men and 4 boys take to do it?
45. If X/Y=2, then (X-Y)/X?
46. A person lent a certain sum of money at 4% simple interest and in 8 years the interest amounted to Rs.340 less than the amount lent, find the sum lent
47. If x>0 and x2 > 161, what is the best whole number approximation of X?
48. A sum of money is to be divided among three persons A, B, and C at the ration of 4:9:7. If the difference between the shares of B and C is Rs. 1000, the difference between the 50 percent shares of A and C will be
49. Two train of length 300m and 200m are running in opposite direction on parallel tracks with the speed of 40 km/hr and 60 km/hr respectively. How much time they take to cross each other?
50. If the side of a square is increased by 25% then its area is increased by
Direction: Find out the wrong number in the following series:
52. 808, 408, 208, 108, 68
Direction: Find logically the best numbers
55. If BEAT is coded TAEB, what should be the code of SOUP
56. If PEN is coded as ODM what should be the code for WET?
Direction: Two words on the left hand bear the same relation. Find the word that carry similar meaning on the right and side.
57. Sparrow: Nest ::Rabbit:?
58. Vender: Buyer ::Advocate:?
59. Nip: Crush::?
Crimo : Cramp
60. Surgeon : Scalpel::?
Direction: Select logically best sentence which signifies similar meaning
61.Doctor , Rubber , Chair
62. Men, Women, Universe
63. Iran, Thief, Dog
64. Computer , Machine, Typewriter
65. Day, Night, TV
Direction: Select the best sentence which signifies similar meaning.
66. “The sky is cloudy so it may rain”
He has not worked so he will fail
Students are absent, so the teacher will not teach
They are happy so they will dance.
The cold war is at breaking point so it may result shooting in war.
67. “Make hay while sun shine”
Sleep when you are tired.
Jump when you are dancing.
Take the flood at its tide
Entering hope when others help.
68. “All lawyers are cunning so is he”
Children are happy as they have no worries.
All philosophers are wise so was Socrates.
All animals have tails so do the dogs have.
People worship because they fear.
Direction: An incomplete, argument is followed by four statements. Select logically the sentence which, completes the argument without importing any fallacy.
69. He cannot be cheated because he is shrewd.
No shrewd person can be cheated.
All shrewd person cannot be cheated.
Shrewd person can be cheated.
Only shrewd person can be cheated.
70. He will die because he takes drugs.
All who take drugs will die.
All who die take drugs.
Some who die take drugs
Some who take drugs die.
71. He is an engineer so he cannot write poem.
No engineers can write poem.
So who cannot write poem are engineers.
Some engineers cannot write poems.
Some who cannot write poems are engineers.
72. He deserves victory as he is brave
Some brave deserve victory.
Some who deserves victory are brave
All who deserve victory are brave.
All brave deserves victory.
73. If the day after tomorrow is Friday; what day was it yesterday?
74. A clock seen through a mirror reads quarter past three, what is the correct time?
Quarter to Nine
Quarter to ten
75. If I walk 12 kilometer to the north, then 10 km to east and then 12km to south. How far am I from the starting point?
76. A computer can perform all the following functions except
Add, subtract, multiply and divide
Exercise independent intelligence to solve problem
Compare alphabetic and numeric characters.
Store and retrieve information.
77. Alexander was king of
78. The planet that came nearest to earth after 600000 year in August 2003 is
79. Ohm’s law is related to
80. The hardest elements of the human body is
81. What might be the greatest risk to any computer installation?
82. Which blood is universal accepter?
83. Which country was the first to hold competitive examination to select candidates for a particular job?
84. Which year was declared as “International Women’s Year”?
85. In an electric fund transfer (EFT), there is
A high probability of error
No exchange of money in form of cash and cheque
An exchange of money in form of cash or cheque
None of above
86. The famous religious place in Hindu “Man Sarover” is in
87. Expense relating to the sale of gods are shown in
Profit and loss account
Profit and loss appreciation account
88. Storage capacity of magnetic tape is determined by the tape’s
89. Dow-Jones stock exchange belongs to
90. The historical ‘Silk Road” links
Asia and Europe
China and France
Mongolia and Korea
Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan
91. Standard Chartered Bank is rename of
State Bank of India
Nepal Grindlays Bank
92. The part of computer instruction that tells the control unit what operation to be performed is called
93. Depreciation is related to
94. The World Trade Organization (WTO) came into operation since
1* January, 1994
1* January, 1995
1* January, 1996
1* January, 1997
95. Archimedes was a great
96. Who is considered to be the father of Greek medicine?
97. On which river is “Barha Chhetra” situated?
98. Wall Street (New York) is famous for
99. The Nepal Youth Cricket Team came first in 2003 in
100. “Kanchanjunga” lies in which district?