CMAT Entrance 2011
A set of rooms
Direction: Complete the following sentences with the appropriate choice from among the options that follow:
6. The notice clearly states that trespassers will be ......
7. The police burst tear gas shells to .................. the mob.
8. The dose of sleeping pills proved.......... and he died in sleep.
9. The thieves tried to ..... with the lock but they did not succeed in breaking it.
10. A referee should be ........ in the outcome of the match.
Direction: Each question below consists of an idiom or a phrase, followed by four lettered expressions. Choose the lettered expression that most nearly expresses the meaning of the given idiom or phrase.
11. At sixes and sevens
to create chaos
in proper order
sometimes odd sometimes even
12. To be ill at ease .
to become ill
to recover from illness
to become unpopular
to be on hostile terms with someone
13. Roots and branch
step by step
part by part
14. To eat the humble pie
to be under nourished
to work secretly
to face failure
to be highly annoyed
15. To take one’s hand to plough
to do basic work
to commence the work seriously
to change the profession
to do an unimportant job
Direction: The following paragraph has a number of blanks marked 16-20 followed by a set of options. Mark the options that best complete the blanks.
The average new born ....16.... is about fifty centimeters long. In twenty years, this little body grows more than triples.... 17...... in length. The average height of a man is 1.7 meters ....18..... an does not stop growing; he continues to grow even after the ....19... of twenty five and reaches his maximum height at about the age of thirty five. An average person shrinks as much as ten millimeters 20 ten years after the age of forty.
Direction: The passage given below is followed by question based on its contents. After reading the passage, choose the best answer to each question.
Sherlock Holmes was the first of all the story book detectives and he is still the greatest. He is perhaps known to more people than any other character in fiction. You have probably seen pictures of him = a powerful man of six-foot-two, dressed in a cape and deer-stalker hat, with a pipe in his mouth and a magnifying glass in his hand. Yet it was not his appearance that made Sherlock Holmes famous, but his marvelous powers of detection. In The Norwood Builder, a popular Sherlock Holmes story, a young man rushes into Holmes sitting-room at 221 Baker Street. “I am John McFarlane” he says, painting heavily. Sherlock Holmes lazily replies, “You mentioned your name as if I should recognize it. I assure you that beyond the obvious fact that you are a bachelor, a solicitor, a freemason, and an asthmatic, I know nothing whatever about you.
21. Sherlock Holmes pictures show him dressed in a
Cap and deer stalker boots
Cape and doe colored boots
Cape and deer stalker hat
Deer skin cape and stocky hat
22. Sherlock Holmes was fond of smoking
23. Sherlock Holmes greatest asset was
His power to draw conclusions
His keen sense of observation
His magnifying glass
His ability to see through people
24. What Sherlock Holmes lazily replies to John
I know you very well.
I recognize only the story write.
I know persons who are solicitors.
None of the above.
25. What made Sherlock Holmes famous was
His stately appearance.
His pipe and hat
His address at 221 B Baker Street.
His marvelous power of detection
26. The ten’s digit of a two-digit number is twice the unit’s digit, Reversing the digits yield a new number. Which one the following number is the original number?
27. What is the area of right angle triangle to the right?
28. If in a certain school 20 students are taking math and 10 are taking history and 7 are taking both. How many students are there?
29. Suppose p is even and q is odd. Then which of the following cannot be an integer?
III. q/p2 Check it
I and II only
i and III only
30. If the average of the consecutive even integers a, b, and c is less than a∕3, which of the following best described the value of a?
a is positive
a is negative
a is prime
a is odd
31. If (x+y)∕(x-y)=3 and x and y are integers, then which one of the following must be true?
x is divisible by 4
y is an even number
y is an odd number
x is an even number
32. If n is an integer, then which one of the following expressions must be even?
n2 + 1
n(n + 2)
n(n + 1)
n(n + 4)
34. 4(xy)3 + (x3=>y3)2 =
(x3 => y3)2
(x3 + y 3)2
(x3 = y3)
(x3 - y3)
35. The population of a town was 12000 in 1980 and 16000 in 1990. What was the percent increase in the population of the town during this period?
36. A jar contains 24 blue balls and 40 red balls. Which one of the following is 50% of the blue balls?
37. John is 20 years older than Steve. In 10 years, Steve’s age will be half that of John’s. What is the Steve’s age?
38. How many ounces of nuts costing 80 cents a pound must be mixed with nuts costing at 60 cents a pound to make a 10 ounce mixture costing 70 cents a pound?
39. The distance between cities A and B is 120 miles. A car travels from A to B at 60 miles per hour and returns from B to A along the same route at 40 miles per hour. What was the average speed for the round trip?
40. What is the greatest prime factor of (24)2-1 ?
41. If n is an integer, what is the least value of n such that 1/3n < 0.01
43. If 4% of (p+q) is 8 and p is positive integer, what is the greatest possible value of q?
44. The average of 8 number is A, and one of the numbers is 14. If 14 is replaced with 28, then what is the new average in terms of A?
45. If 7 workers can assemble a car in 8 hours, how long would it take 12 workers to assemble the same car?
46. Let u represents ‘the sum of the integers from 1 through 20, and v represent the sum of the integers from 21 through 40. What is the value of v-u?
47. In a legislative body of 200 people, the number of Democrats is 50 less than 4 times the number of Republicans; If one fifth of the legislators are neither Republican nor Democrat, how many of the legislators are Republicans?
48. If you roll two dice, what is the probability of sum total of 5?
49. If y is an integer and x is an odd integer,which of the following expression could be an even integer?
x2 + y2
50. if 813 = 2z, then z = ?
Direction: Select logically best answer for the questions 51 to 55.
51 ‘Do not take sugar because you have diabetes’ is logically similar to
Do not read as you have weak sight.
Do not speak as you are not asked to speak
Do not play as you are hurt
Do not work as you are already overworked.
52. ‘He will not, tolerate insult because he is self respecting is logically similar to
He can buy costly things because he is a rich man.
This is trivial so a fastidious person will not accept it.
He is unhappy as he has failed
He has compassion for all because he is conscientious
53. “Where there is a will there is a way’ is logically similar to
There is a solution to every problem.
Determined persons can always find way outs for any problem.
Those who pray can accomplish task.
We have to construct roads to enhance accessibility.
54. Empty vessels make much noise’ is logically similar to,
Wise people do not talk much.
Fools generally praise themselves.
Cowards die many times before their natural death.
Empty vessels and people are similar.
55. Read in order to increase knowledge’ is logically similar to,
If you want to build your body, take exercise.
Speak to relieve your tension.
Pay only when you have obtained services
If you want to earn, do not cheat on others.
Direction: Question numbers 56- 60 are based on matching the relationship of the pair of words that carry Similar meaning as the pair of words given in the left - hand side.
56. Always: Never
Often : Constantly
Often : Rarely
57. Lawyer: Case
Teacher : School
58. Crowd : Mob
Life : Death
Trees : Forest
Million : Billion
Large : Huge
59. Longitude : International Date Time
Longitude : Time
Latitude : Equator
North Pole : South Pole
60. Plus: Minus
Infinity : Zero
Digit : Series
Multiplication : Division
Direction: Find the odd-one out for the question numbers 61 to 65.
Direction: Select logically the best answer
66. Motor: Engine:: Computer:?
67. People : Food :: Machines:? .
68. Literacy: Ability to read and write :: Comprehend:?
Direction: There are two sets of figures: problem figures and answer figures. The problem figures form some kind of series, Select one figure from the answer set which will continue the same series as given in the figures.
76. Which country introduced chess for the first time?
77. Which country of the world passes budget two times in a year?
78. Which desert is known as man made desert?
79. Which country of the world is getting highest number of inflow of migrant Nepalese workers in the fiscal year 2010 / 11?
80. Who is that Indian lady to whom Asia’s equivalent of the Nobel prizes “Ramon Magsaysay Awards 2011” is awarded?
81. “Delhi Belly” an Indian movie is the production venture of
82. Lingonberry is a kind of
83. How old is the relationship between Nepal and Britain?
Almost 300 years
Almost 200 years
Almost 100 years
Almost 150 years
84. Sri Sri Ravi Shanker is a leading name of
A political leader
A business leader
A humanitarian and spiritual leader
An organizational leader
85. Which of the following country has the highest number of internet users?
86. Who was known as “The Queen of Rock and Roll”?
87. Which of the following country has been endorsed as host of the 2012 AFC Challenge Cup finals?
88. Who replaced Rakesh Sood, the Indian Ambassador to Nepal?
89. In which country the incident of an women blinded with acid by her suitor for turning down his marriage proposal spared him to the last minute from being blinded too as punishment for his crime?
90. Which sea lies on the west part of Syria?
91. Which of the following indicates a protest against sexual assault and insecurity among women?
92. Who is the present Member Secretary of the National Sports Council?
93. Which bank of Nepal, bagged Billionth Award 2011 for its mobile cash product?
94. Who headed a three member panel that selected Managing Director of Nepal Electricity Authority with hefty remuneration?
Shanker Man Singh
95. Informal Sector Service Centre honoured Ghana Shyam Acharya with Prakash Kuman Rights Award for his contribution to human rights in
96. To which daily paper Prakriti Adhikari the winner of National Education Journalist Award is associated?
97. Which of the following is not a television channel in operation in Nepal?
98. Who is considered as God of Gods in Hindu mythology?
99. Who is the musician of the national anthem of Nepal?
100. On August 02, 2011, a weekly tabloid to be published from Kathmandu and New York was inaugurated in Kathmndu by Nilambar Acharya: Chairman of the constitution Committee. What was the name of the tabloid?
Vishwa Sandesh New York